Monday, August 23, 2010

Going abroad... Going aboard...

Friends,

Hello. After noticing that it has been yet nearly another year since my last post, an update is in order. Speaking of order, a new approach to this blog is in order - in celebration of my next upcoming adventure,, I will be posting more frequently with videos and photos, to portray more of my everyday rhythm while in Patagonia, but for now? Sit right back, and I will catch you up on exactly what has been going on in life...








photos: Kevin Shon 2010, top to bottom- 1. Climber Staff Training, 2. Climbing with Students at Table Rock 3. 2010 All Staff photo! The Hills of Appalachia as viewed from Ginger Cake Acres near Table Rock 4. Chinese Checkers in the Philip's building at Table Rock -night time entertainment 5. Climbing with friends Kelly and Jen on the North Ridge Route, Table Rock 6. The Hills of Appalachia as viewed from Ginger Cake Acres near Table Rock

I am wrapping up my fourth summer season at the North Carolina Outward Bound School (www.ncobs.org) as I prepare for some Fall/Winter work in Patagonia (which is their Spring and Summer). I will be posting photos/video over my next consecutive posts offering but a mere glimpse of my time at both our Table Rock and Cedar Rock base camps.

After I slowly organize my cabin and my car for the big trip out of NC for the Fall, I will head first to Table Rock on August 25th for our Staff appreciation celebration at NCOBS. I will then head to the New River Gorge for a few days of climbing. Then, after a quick visit with my parents in Northern Virginia, it will be off to Argentina for the Fall/Winter.

Pili and I are excited to be together again- we have been patiently waiting to be reunited while we commit to our professional passions. This Winter (from here on out referred to as "Summer," due to being in the southern hempisphere), will be an amazing opportunity for us to be together while also being able to actuate our professional passions as well as our relationship!


The loveliest folks waiting for me back in Patagonia...

I will be living this Summer in Bariloche, Argentina instructing some Outward Bound courses, as well as working for a local elementary school in Bariloche, Colegio Del Sol, developing an environmental education curriculum for their grades 1-6 programming. All of this is also building towards something bigger; a new high school will eventually be built by the same board of directors overseeing El Colegio. It will be an eco-school (http://www.eco-schools.org/) and the dream vision is for me to be develop curriculum for this school as well, using the elementary school as a pilot. This would mean full-time in Argentina for several years down the road- after a master's degree and a few other stops along the "voyage" I began after graduating from WVU (www.wvu.edu) nearly 5 years ago. CRAZY! I never would have thought this was where my adventure was leading, but everyday I am reminded that once I think I have hit the peak, the summit, I see that there are more, off in the horizon, both figurative and literal.

The figurative peaks? Will be the stuff of catching up in person, or over phone. The literal peaks? I will attempt to continue my new passion of photography and try to post some photos from my climbs in the Andes this Summer in South America.

Stay tuned for more stories, and i will stay tuned for yours.

No comments: